About Connaught Place
Connaught Place (CP/Rajiv Chowk) was designed by Robert Tor Russell and constructed in 1933. It tooks four years to complete. The structure of Connaught Place is very complex. It consist of 2 concentric circles known as Inner Circle and Outer Circle and smartly connecting roads and under passes. According to history, it was named after the First Duke of Connaught, a member of the British royal family.
Prior to 1929, Connaught Place was ridge covered with lots of Kikar trees and found so many wild animals like pigs and jackals. At that time ancient Hanuman temple attracted many pilgrims, who came to visit only on Tuesday and Saturday and they return before sunset because that time this place was quite vulnerable and unsafe.
During the construction of Connaught Place, many peoples near by this location have to moved from their home to Karol Bagh. Here only 3 ancient structure was refrained from demolition, there are Hanuman temple, Jantar Mantar, Jain temple and Jaisinghpura.
Today Connaught Place is very papular, you can see this on any map as a big round circles with so many connecting roads like Parliament Street, Baba Khadak Singh Marg(Janpath Road), Barakhamba Road, Panch Kuina Road, K.G. Marg and Vivekanand Road. Here Palika Bazaar is first well planned fully a.c. underground market. Officially The Outer Circle is Indira Chowk, this is also known as the Connaught Circus, having no. of branded shops, restaurants, coffee shops, banks and hotels. Todays most popular things of Delhi is Delhi Metro, which connects all locations of delhi city as well as near by cities of other states like Noida, Greater Noida, Gaziabad, Faridabad and Gurgaon.